70% of jobs are found through your own network, and 24% of the jobs are not even posted!
Networking is a great way to get insights on your desired company’s culture, hiring practices, business challenges and trends. You might also end up with a referral to a job opening!
How to Prepare for Networking?
- Be clear on your objective
- Stay informed on the industry’s upcoming events and activities
- Prepare a list of questions that you would like to ask during the networking session
- Prepare a 30-45 second pitch about yourself
- Prepare a business card with a visual resumé that summarises your qualities
- Keep your attire professional
- Greet with a firm handshake and maintain eye contact
- Listen 80% of the time, and speak 20%
- Ask open ended questions to gain relevant information
- Be respectful of their time and keep conversations to about 10 – 15 minutes
- Thank the person and send a follow-up message
Asking the Right Networking Questions
- What made you join the company?
- What’s your role and experience?
- What’s your company direction?
- What is the most challenging or exciting part of your work?
- How do you juggle your commitments while staying relevant?
- What do you look for in a candidate?
Interested to gather more tips on networking? Watch this video to hear from Hiring Managers, HRs and Career Coaches on how one can engage in their professional network to improve their job search chances.